(NOTE: I tried to make this short for Reddit, but ended up with this wall of text. After getting downvoted for that, I decided to cut and paste the ton of text here.)
So what's happened since? Here are some details:
1 - Moving expenses
I decided to scan the bad results of my PET scan and email it to my old landlady who also happens to be a nurse. She was someone in dire financial straits herself, but that scan REALLY got to her right where she lived. As a result, somehow, somewhere she came up with enough money to pay for the move on top of my miserably small original move-in deposit. That was VERY generous of her. :)
2 - Finding the new place
My (now former) landlady had written a positive letter of recommendation for any future landlords after some real estate genius told me some months before that a letter like that was even better than a credit check nowadays. Time to use it now. :)
I did a lot of calling of ads on Craigslist and interviewed the heck out of prospective housemates over the course of a few days. Finally one seemed pretty OK. As soon as I took a look at the neighborhood and the new place, I was sold. Wow... lots of mature trees, central location, fantastic express bus line AND definitely closer to my cancer center? Where do I sign? :)
The new landlady REALLY appreciated the letter of recommendation. It made THE difference in my being able to snag the new place
3 - Help with the move
Only a day after the new rental agreement was signed, my old landlady let me know that her house had to be tenant-free and clean in 4 days due to some crazy WTF pressure from her bank.
I posted [this](http://sezzme-seeds.blogspot.com/2012/03/in-march-of-2012-whole-lotta-crap.html) call for help as part of [this](http://www.reddit.com/r/vegas/comments/rdsgy/longtime_redditor_and_breast_cancer_patient/) thread in my local subreddit.
~~Gondor~~ I called for aid and ~~Rohan~~ Reddit did answer. Hardtoremember has a person in his life who works for a small moving company. The owner of the moving arranged for professional movers to show up AT COST to help with the move. Redditors EscoAK and "graveyard-working dude with pickup truck" (forgot his Reddit name, how embarrassing) came in person to help pack stuff in boxes over the course of two days. The move successfully happened without a hitch, no pun intended. Would not have been possible without my fellow Redditors. I made sure to post a [thank-you comment.](http://www.reddit.com/r/vegas/comments/rdsgy/longtime_redditor_and_breast_cancer_patient/c4767un) :)
4 - The car
I had an AAA card that was running out at the beginning of March. The last thing we needed was a dead car left in the old place. So on the last day of my AAA membership (perhaps a week before the move) I had the car towed to my mechanic. He agreed to store it in his lot for free until I somehow came up with the cash to pay for the fix.
I yelled for help from some local cancer charities for help with the car. After a bunch of weeks, a local foundation eventually wrote a check to my mechanic to cover the cost of the replacement transmission.
Between that donation and now I had to deal with some bureaucracy from Nevada DMV (long story) about re-registering the car again. I finally untangled the red tape just this week.
The cost of re-registering plus insurance is a daunting expense, so I am going to have to arrange something about THAT detail sooner than later. (Beats the hell out of the cost of the transmission!) The mechanic says that he will be finished with the car around this coming Wednesday. I just hope he doesn't find something ELSE screwy with the car, like the brakes need replacing, or something. Wish me luck.
5 - The cancer
I did 2 rounds of chemo, then on Monday, May 14 in the chemo room, my body said "Screw THIS!" and I [started heading into shock.](http://www.reddit.com/r/SezzThoughts/comments/tnyqi/i_had_a_very_scary_anaphylactic_shock_experience/) I finally saw my oncologist yesterday (the 24th) about it. She does not want to risk that particular drug combo again. She decided to see about getting me scanned again and THEN deciding what my chemo should be. So I am off chemo until around mid-June, which is a relief. A vacation from chemo. I definitely need to recover from the fear of that shock experience.
IN RETROSPECT:
When I look back at the whole thing, I have to be freakin' astonished. I feel like some character in some movie with a crazy plot twist.
Seriously, if it wasn't for my getting cancer again, I might had ended up homeless and I would most likely have lost everything. Instead, BECAUSE of my finding out about the cancer within 48 hours of finding out I was to be evicted (jumping jesus on a pogo stick... what the fuq?!), now I am safe with the combined help of my old landlady, Reddit and at least a couple of cancer charities.
While shaking my head in utter disbelief, I feel like telling the two metastatic tumors in my liver: "Damn you, you @#$%! little bastards... thanks for your help. Your timing was perfect. You can leave now, OK? Capiche? Good gawd...!"
THANK YOU REDDIT for your support in helping me be safe again. (I can't say THAT enough.) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment